Comforter A comforter, also called a duvet, is a type of bed cover filled with down, wool, cotton or synthetic fiber and encased in fabric called 'ticking.' Most of our comforters are filled with high fill power white goose down and covered in luxurious 100% cotton ticking. We also carry synthetic down alternatives and 100% pure wool filled comforters for allergy-sufferers. We recommend getting a cover for your comforter, which will protect it and be easier to wash than the comforter itself.